Friday, May 13, 2011

Kia Racing–I Didn’t See That One Coming

As anyone who knows me well can attest, I am a BMW fan.  I always thought they were cool as a kid, and when I was about 12, I had it set in my mind that my first car was to be a 1987 BMW 325is, red of course.  Well, my first car did NOT turn out to be the aforementioned 325is, but many years later, I did in fact buy a red, 1987 325is from a coworker.  It was an enormously fun car to drive and compared to the techno-wizardry in modern cars, was incredibly easy to work on.  Since then, we’ve had a 2000 528i, which was later replaced by a 2004 X3 3.0i, which is a terrific blend of sporty driving dynamics and cargo-hauling utility.  Anyway, given this affinity for all things BMW, you can imagine my surprise when I read that not only has Kia developed a racing unit, but that they recently took a first-place finish, beating out a BMW 1-series!

Don’t get me wrong, I really think Kia is coming into their own as a respectable carmaker.  We own a 2009 Kia Rio that we bought new primarily for our teenager to drive.  It’s easy to drive, has great safety features, a good warranty, etc.  I have to say that I have been quite impressed with both the build quality and the drivability of it.  It’s no BMW, for sure, but a solid car at a good price.

All I’m saying here is that seeing Kia jump into the racing world, and to come out with some quick victories, is not something I saw coming.

You can check out some of the details over at CarGuyDad.com.

No comments: