Monday, February 14, 2011

My Reading List

Having been inspired by a blog post over at the Art of Manliness, I decided to put together my own "bucket list" of books that I want to make sure I read.  Some of the books on the list at AoM appeal to me very much, and others not so much.  What I am going to present here is my list of books that I want to read.  As I make my way through them, I will put together my thoughts on each one, and I will come back to this post and update it to indicate which ones I have read, by linking them to my own posts discussing them.  I may also add to this list from time to time, as I read about or hear of other books that I want to read.  Some of these I have read before, mostly in high school, but I am going to read them again to make sure I have a more mature viewpoint and understanding of the material.  Many of these are very academic, and I may not make it through them out of sheer boredom.  If that is that case, I will still make note of my thoughts here.

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
1984 (George Orwell)
The Republic (Plato)
Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
The Wealth of Nations (Adam Smith)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Ernest Hemingway)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
How To Win Friends And Influence People Dale Carnegie)
Call of the Wild (Jack London)
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (Edmund Morris)
Swiss Family Robinson (Johann David Wyss)
Dharma Bums (Jack Kerouac)
The Iliad and Odyssey (Homer)
Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
Walden (Henry David Thoreau)
Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
The Master and Margarita (Mikhail Bulgakov)
Bluebeard (Kurt Vonnegut)
Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)
White Noise (Don Delillo)
Ulysses (James Joyce)
The Young Man’s Guide (William Alcott)
Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West (Cormac McCarthy)
Seek: Reports from the Edges of America & Beyond (Denis Johnson)
Crime And Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
Steppenwolf (Herman Hesse)
The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry (Christine De Pizan)
The Art of Warfare (Sun Tzu)
Don Quixote (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)
Into the Wild (Jon Krakaue)
The Divine Comedy (Dante Alighieri)
The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien)
The Rough Riders (Theodore Roosevelt)
East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
Leviathan (Thomas Hobbes)
The Thin Red Line (James Jones)
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
The Politics (Aristotle)
First Edition of the The Boy Scout Handbook
Cyrano de Bergerac (Edmond Rostand)
Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller)
The Crisis (Winston Churchill)
The Naked and The Dead (Norman Mailer)
Hatchet (Gary Paulsen)
Animal Farm (George Orwell)
Tarzan of the Apes (Edgar Rice Burroughs)
Beyond Good and Evil (Freidrich Nietzsche)
The Federalist Papers (Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, and James Madison)
Moby Dick (Herman Melville)
Essential Manners for Men (Peter Post)
Frankenstein (Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly)
Hamlet (Shakespeare)
The Boys of Summer (Roger Kahn)
A Separate Peace (John Knowles)
A Farewell To Arms (Ernest Hemingway)
The Stranger (Albert Camus)
Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Dafoe)
The Pearl (John Steinbeck)
On the Road (Jack Kerouac)
Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson)
A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)
Foucault’s Pendulum (Umberto Eco)
The Great Railway Bazaar (Paul Theroux)
Fear and Trembling (Soren Kierkegaard)
Undaunted Courage (Stephen Ambrose)
Paradise Lost (John Milton)
Cannery Row (John Steinbeck)
American Boys’ Handy Book
Into Thin Air (Jon Krakauer)
King Solomon’s Mines (H. Rider Haggard)
The Idiot (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
A River Runs Through It (Norman F. Maclean)
The Island of Dr. Moreau (H.G. Wells)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Theodore Rex (Edmund Morris)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
All Quiet on The Western Front (Erich Maria Remarq)
The Red Badge of Courage (Stephen Crane)
Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans (Plutarch)
A Strenuous Life (Theodore Roosevelt)
Lonesome Dove (Larry McMurtry)
The Maltese Falcon (Dashiell Hammett)
The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
The Dangerous Book for Boys (Conn and Hal Iggulden)
The Killer Angels (Michael Shaara)
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Histories (Herodotus)
From Here to Eternity (James Jones)
The Frontier in American History (Frederick Jackson Turner)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Robert Pirsig)
Self Reliance (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

No comments: