Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Speaking of Shaving...

In my last post, I mentioned that I had shaved off my mustache, which is something that I had done perhaps once prior to that day.  Today, I'd like to expand on that a little, and talk about shaving in general.  Thanks to one of my absolute favorite online communities, I recently read about how to shave like my grandpa.  The article extols the virtues of the classic wet-shave using a double-edge safety razor and real shave soap applied using a real badger-hair brush.

I was immediately intrigued by the idea of slowing down for a minute and learning a technique that has some history and elegance behind it.  So, I ordered a Merkur Model 180 Safety Razor and a 10-pack of Merkur Double-Edge Platinum Blades from Amazon to get me started.  For this first foray into the world of the classic wet-shave, I actually did not pick up the badger-hair brush, or real shave soap, for two reasons.  First, I wanted to limit how much I invested in gear, in case I didn't like it.  Second, I still had a full can of shave gel and I figured I could just use that up.  I have since ordered a Swissco Badger Shave Brush and a tube of Proraso Shave Cream, which should be arriving in the next couple of days.

In the article I linked up above, Brett says that "switching from a cheap disposable razor to double edged safety razor is like upgrading from a Pinto to a BMW" (note: I have slightly altered this quotation to reflect my particular automotive tastes).  I have to completely, 100% agree with his assessment.  There is something of a learning curve to using the double-edge razor, but once you get it figured out, it's a whole different experience.  It takes more time to do it right, as compared to shaving with a disposable cartridge razor, but this extra time is part of the beauty of it.  It forces you to slow down a little and actually experience the process, rather than just rushing through it like we so often do with the routine tasks in our lives.

In this era of smartphones, laptops, iPads, RSS feeds, 1000 channels of TV content, instant messaging, traffic jams, endless meetings, and a million other constant, hectic distractions, it is really refreshing to connect with a less-hectic time.  Taking 15 minutes to shut out the modern world and do something as simple as shaving really gives me a sense of calm that sets the stage for being able to then tackle the challenges of the modern world.

The simple act of shaving the way our fathers and grandfathers did creates a sense that I am carrying on a proud tradition, one that many great men before me engaged in.  It sounds corny, but I encourage you to keep an open mind and try it.  There are lots of great resources out there on learning the techniques, as well as recommendations on what equipment to start with.  The article that I linked to up above is a great starting point, and in addition to that, the rest of the AoM community is a fantastic resource for modern men. Men who, like me, long to revive the lost arts that great men before us engaged in and learn to become great men that future generations can be proud of.

No comments: